In this post, I thought I would just list a few things I had heard my friends say over the past two weeks and also certain other things that I had said or thought... just to demonstrate the concentrating and wandering powers of the mind while studying. Especially in the exam season!
Here are a few instances when you know you have studied too much and that your mind has been absorbing stuff from books for too long.. a hint for you to take a break ;)
- when your friend looks at you after you have had an exceptionally full meal and wonders what your expansion coefficient is. (hey! are you trying to hint something??? :P)
- when you look at your crumpled jacket and remark "my jacket is a protein! it folded!"
- when your friend passes by a water tank and wonders at what rate the water should flow, what the diameter of the pipe is, how long it will take to fill half the tank...blah blah blah...zzzzzzzzzz
- when your curly haired friend remarks that she needs a "disufide bond breaker" for her hair.. a.k.a hair straightener.
- when you start wondering about the changes in properties of the cheese on your cheese toast when you toast it and watch the cheese melt. (yum! cheesy!!!)
- when you go to help your friend shop for a birthday present for someone else, and you think that a particular coffee mug there looked perfect to act as a molecular chaperone for proteins to fold in... rather than to hold coffee.
I could go on and on... All these instances probably just mean that you have studied too much and you need to get out and breathe some fresh air more often!
Then again... there is the opposite! The case where your brain just refuses to concentrate on the task at hand and decides to wander all over the place!
Here are a few examples of the weird things that I said out of the blue to my friend while studying subjects like organic chemistry or biochemistry.. and also a few weird things that ran through my mind, but i didn't tell them out
- Asking your friend "Which one costs more? a new cycle or an mp3 player?"
- Some guys look quite good in sleeveless tops, but there are so many who just can't carry it off!
- Asking your friend (who is studying pretty seriously) whether she thinks your handwriting looks mature or is it still like a little kid's handwriting... (sigh... i will never learn!)
- I need a couple of nice pants... maybe brown... and not to mention jeans!
- I have got to see the new harry potter movie.. i wonder how the yule ball is...
These are just a few things that buzzed around my brain while i studied.. if i were to list down every single thing that went on in my head while i studied, the number of irrelevant thoughts would outstrip the relevant thoughts by a huge margin :">
I just thought it was pretty incredible that our mind can get so deep into certain things, while certain other things just bounce off. Two opposite properties in the same mind.
Hmmmmmmmmm....... How did that happen??