Saturday, September 05, 2009

Desi in videsh

The minute somebody says "desi", what's the first thing that comes to mind? It used to be Indians for me. And I thought it was the same for everybody. Until I met somebody from Pakistan, who had moved here to the US and lived here for quite a few years. She said, "Its so nice to meet desi people!".

Recently, an association was formed for "desi" people. It includes Nepalis and Pakistanis (yet to spot any Sri Lankans)...

And it hit me...

Differences in nationality, religion etc seem so petty when a group stand united to try and help each other settle into a new country. Suddenly, everything going on in the LOC seems like such a waste of precious resources. You learn to look beyond the military battles, beyond the politics, beyond the violence, and get to look into the eyes of a person, who wants peace as badly as you do, and is tired of being told to hate you, just like how you don't want to hate them...

At the end of the day, I just don't have words to describe the bond that keeps us desis here together...

But I sure am glad that love triumphs over hate

4 comments:

Anusha said...

Well said. And it applies to everyone, doesn't it? When you're in a country away from home, anyone who is in the same situation becomes someone you can relate to, regardless of whether or not their origins are the same as yours. And that's when wars and fights seem so pointless and meaningless. Honestly, is it really so hard to get along with everyone else, or is life just that complicated that we can't? *sigh*

doublehead said...

Assume you have landed in another planet and you are surrounded by the inhabitants of that planet. They are friendly and not hostile to you. But they look different. Suddenly you spot some earthlings from USA, Sudan, Indonesia, Madagascar, Peru and Tanzania. Now they are all DESIs, aren't they? Good to see that you are learning new lessons in life and going beyond LOC, that is "circle of love" for you in french!! (just like NMR is RMN in french)

doublehead said...

Why go as far as another planet? I am living in a city which is not my native place. When I meet someone who is from my native place, that person is DESI for me. If that person happens to be from my village, he/she becomes "DESIER" to me. It is natural to bond like that when you are in an alien place.

doublehead said...

BTB, accidentally I once met a desi in Coimbatore railway station! hehe