Tuesday, May 08, 2012

MG strikes again

I have been away from my blog for far too long... again! I have a sneaking suspicion that as time passes, this is going to happen more and more frequently. I don't really ever take the time to sit at a computer and type out a blog post. If I do sit at a computer to type something out, its the rare email that I send to my parents. But lately, I just don't seem to have had the patience to sit and write out anything.

A lot has happened though, over the past few months that I disappeared. In fact, the very night that I wrote my previous blog post was the biggest turning point of my life. That was the night that I had a long conversation over the phone with my parents about who I really am, well, I guess it was more of a monologue because they needed to hear what I had to say before they could respond. Anyways, that was the night that I was completely honest with them and told them that I am in fact gay. Go figure. I suppose I knew this all my life on some level but have always been in denial of the fact. But now its out in the open and almost everybody knows. My parents have been extremely cool and supportive about the whole situation and seem to have been a lot more courageous than I have been. I certainly do wish I had confided this stuff in them earlier, but hey, I needed some time to figure things out myself and come out of the closet on my own terms.

Since then, I have had a couple of heart breaks, like everybody does, except, for me, this was the first time ever in my entire life that I went on a date with somebody. Heart breaks and learning experiences aside, now things seem a lot more stable in my personal life. Facebook has made it especially easy for me to come out to everybody and now I am happy with my wonderful girlfriend (for whom I need to think up of a blog nickname).

Grad school has been a rollercoaster ride. There was the euphoria of publishing my first ever paper. I am the first author on it and I wrote the whole thing!!! So for most part, I guess things are going ok in lab. I am beginning to feel like I could really use a break though. Good thing memorial day weekend is just around the corner.

I've had some new friends come into my life. I am a member of PFLAG Dallas and love going to the meetings, even if I don't talk much. The meetings helped me with my initial struggle, just spending an evening with a bunch of people who understand the situation you are in can make all the difference in the world. I continue to go to the meetings because I hope to be able to help somebody else in much the same way as I was helped, through a show of support.

In short, the past few months have been one heck of a rollercoaster ride in every aspect, but its a ride I'm glad I took, because now I feel so much more comfortable walking in my own shoes and being true to myself and the people I love.

Here to yet another attempt at blogging! Lets see how long this one lasts.




2 comments:

Suryasach said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suryasach said...

Hey MG, I have been following your blog for so many years now!

You are awesome person and my best of best wishes for you!

Please keep blogging, because it feels good to read your blogs.

suresh