Friday, April 24, 2009

As I like it

I have realised I have an insatiable need to please people. Absolutely anybody and everybody... the exceptions being people I hate, of course... But those aren't many.

I just can't seem to be able to say no to anybody, any request, anything at all... I go out of my way so often to please people. I need to stop doing that before people start exploiting me... of course I am assuming nobody is already doing that.

I need to say no to others more often. Nobody says yes to my every request... I shouldn't go on with life trying to please people so that people will do the same for me. This is one scenario where "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" does not apply.

I guess I just need to live my life on my own terms for a while... in every possible sense. I need to pamper myself a bit and indulge in my own cravings and needs.

Let me be the change I expect to see... let me start by saying a big fat YES to myself every now and then.

4 comments:

Anusha said...

First off, I agree with this 100%. I want to emphatically nod at every single line in this post.

BUT. There's a fine line between taking care of yourself and hating the rest of the world. As long as you're on the right side of that line, it's all good. Don't let the world screw you over to such an extent that you don't care about it anymore. :)

simplime said...

hey what happened? was it me? cuz of late you have been going out of the way like anything for me, i know tht...pls tell me cuz i can assure you i would understand it exactly if you give me an instance...

doublehead said...

oh, yes, please do!

Unknown said...

One should not do anything to just please other people. We should do things for people because we want to do for them. In case doing something will not interfere with your plans/work and will be useful to the other person you should do go ahead and do it. As far as coming to "living your life on your own terms" it depends on what you really mean by that. There are certain instances when you have to include your family/friends while making decisions, however insignificant they may seem. If whatever you want to do, does not affect these people then you can go ahead and do it. When you are with people and take decisions after discussing the matter with them, it increases the closeness. Otherwise you can end up hurting people's feelings. If people around you, whom you care for are not happy, you will never be happy.

You have totally misunderstood "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". It means when you deal with people, first put yourseld in their shoes and see how you would expect them to behave with you in that situation. When you talk to people you should not be rude or hurt them, especially when they are in a vulnerable situation. If someone comes asking for help, again put yourself in their position and think how you will feel if someone says no to you in that situation and do accordingly. This teaching of Jesus does not have anything to do with pleasing people.

Always remember, one should not go out of way to please people, but one should always be there for them when they need.